Thursday, January 20, 2011

Early Thoughts On The Wolverine Anime

The U.S. release date for the Wolverine Anime is not announced yet, but believe me, it is worth marking on your calendar. Contrary to my feelings of dread that I had about this series previously, I now have very positive expectations for this one. After watching the first couple episodes of the Japanese version, it's now time to say that I was wrong when I judged this before watching it. Now remember this is coming from someone who does not like anime one bit.


In my own defense, the original trailer was and still is garbage. Luckily the series is nothing of the sort, as there were many changes made. It's a loose adaptation of one of my favorite stories and of course some tweaks were made to enhance it for television. The animation is great and it doesn't go too over the top with the Japanese style. Logan looks a lot like himself (or at least a lot closer than I expected) and we don't see any of the weird fight sequences from the trailer. The realism is a big plus. Since I was expecting something way over the top, I was very pleased with the toned down atmosphere. It's great to see Mariko, Shingen and even the minor characters from Logan's time in Japan. Of course with Mariko comes a different side of Logan that I felt was well done.

Basically, I'd say give this one a shot when it comes out, unless you absolutely hate anime, then I can definitely feel you there. I have never watched anime on my own will before, but I thought it was great. Now of course, this was not the English translated version, but unless the voice acting is absolutely terrible, I don't see how this can be a miss.

I still haven't decided whether or not to postpone my reviews for the series until the United States release, but I'm sure you'll hear from me about this again soon either way.

2 comments:

  1. Saw the first three. I like it more than the Iron Man one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm liking it too. I'll be getting around to episode 3 this weekend. Haven't seen the Iron Man show myself, and probably won't.

    ReplyDelete